Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu recently revealed that nine million people submitted applications to receive the R350 social relief of distress (SRD) grant. However, it has since emerged that some of those submissions have been rejected, despite the applicants meeting the criteria.
A quick recap: To be eligible for the R350 social relief grant you need to be:
- South African citizen/permanent residents/refugees/asylum seekers/holders of special permits
- Be unemployed
- Have no alternative source of income or financial support from any other source
- Be between the ages of 18 and 60
SASSA grant application rejected
Many have taken to social media to express their frustration after being rejected for the R350 grant. There are several reasons for this, including if one is owed by the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or is a recipient of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), regardless of the amount forwarded to you. One NSFAS recipient, who receives R290 a month from the scheme (which is far less than the R350 grant), was also rejected.
Other key factors to be considered – sometimes your application is declined if you have lost your job, but the status doesn’t reflect. SASSA would then conduct a means test.
“Reconsideration applications will be further assessed by checking if there are funds of more than R595 flowing in the client’s bank account. An exception would be if the funds are from a Sassa child-related grant,” said the agency.
SASSA uses information as provided by multiple institutions including UIF, SA Revenue Service, NSFAS and banks among others to check income from alternative sources.
SASSA R350 grant: How to appeal a declined application
- Should your R350 grant application has been denied, you can appeal the decision online
- To challenge any decision, rejected beneficiaries have to visit https://srd.sassa.gov.za/.
- Act fast, because you only have 30 days from the date of rejection to lodge your appeal.
- You need to start a NEW appeal for EACH declined application – nothing will be done automatically.